1.19.2012

what are your zones?

Now and then my husband, Laurence, says something that is so insightful my first reaction is to be impressed and then I just want to smack the backside of his head for being so smart!  I resist the latter but reserve the right to do it....

One such comment was made after he read the last part of my recent blog, the part on how I was looking forward to getting back to regular days at the box, regular workouts, a regular schedule.  He quietly said, "You like your comfort zone."  Comfort zone??  Me??  Why, I'm out there, baby!  I'm bobbing and weaving!  I'm.....oh crap, he's right.  CrossFit is a comfort zone.  
post WOD, still smiling

I don't suppose most people would peek inside a CrossFit box and guess that we look forward to walking into it, to feeling tired after just the warm-up, to becoming intimate with a barbell, to sweating and scrunching up our faces in that "I WILL BEAT YOU DOWN, METCON" way that we do, to discussing the minutia of what could have worked better, to the pull of our worlds outside the CrossFit box that has us walking out of it.  To most, that is not the face of your common comfort zone.  That's why we want to share it.  It's fun to share uncommon joys. 
family


I feel lucky because I know I have a few different comfort zones to go to...family, friends, CF, my sewing room, the park...some are long term, some are short-lived.  I'm staying open to more, for when you take action to do something new, there's that moment when you are living without a net and it's quite exhilarating.  Then, if that something feels good and beneficial in your soul, even though it may be challenging, it becomes another comfort zone for you to duck into as you weave your way through your day, your life. 
the park
I may not want to be as 'net-less' for as long as someone
else might be able to tolerate, but I have learned
to appreciate the exhilaration on the way to
discovering a new comfort zone. 







No comments:

Post a Comment