1.05.2012

the rack

The rack: Um, boobs.

The rack: the position of a barbell as it rests high on your shoulders for the purpose of certain lifts used in CrossFit and Olympic Lifting.




The rack: a piece of equipment used for barbell work when it's necessary to 
begin or end the work from a high
position as opposed to off the ground.






The rack: a device used for torture by gradually stretching a person's body to the point of joint dislocation, etc.

Huh.  A common CrossFit mobility (stretching) movement is known as shoulder dislocations.  Thankfully, we are not attached to a machine for these.  We are  loosening up our shoulders by holding a pvc pipe or broomstick handle with both hands and slowly having it pass overhead from front to back.  It feels great. Really! 


Today is a rest day for me.  I'm pretty good about spending some time on rest days doing mobility movements to keep me from stiffening up.  After all, the reason I make sure to have a day off regularly is because I'm tired and cannot give my full effort to a workout.  I also know that rest days are just as important as workout days.  I once heard someone say (regarding joint mobility), "Motion is lotion."  Simply put and oh, so true.  The effects of lack of mobility work may show up faster for me than for a younger athlete, but it will always show up. 

I think I will forgo the rack.  I don't need to be that aggressive with my mobility!  My pvc pipe, some hip mobility work, and a long walk at the park with the dog sounds like the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment