1.06.2012

my bench

Fun and needed rest day yesterday!

As I drove to the gym this morning (http://www.crossfit321.com/), I knew I could make up yesterday's workout of bench press. Then I'd do either a thruster/pullup metcon or one of rowing/air squats. Mostly I just love to bench and hadn't done it in a long time.
When I got to the gym, I did a warm up of 1000m row, then a series of movements (2x) to finish the warm up. 

A typical day's workout in CrossFit involves lots of whole body movements.  What I love about bench pressing is that it's kind of zen-ish.  It's a quiet moment in CrossFit....you're lying on a bench under a weighted barbell with a single focus, to unrack the bar, move it down to your chest and press it up again.   How long is your arm?  That is the total distance the bar must move down and up...very concentrated, none of the usual flailing big, controlled movement involved...zen-ish!  

Afterward, I decided to just stick with doing the bench and no metcon, so I headed home.

Since it had snowed while I was at the gym, I shovelled the driveway.  The *bench zen* seemed to follow me home because while I was clearing the driveway, I was having little flashes of clarity pop into my mind.  Nothing huge really, just little thoughts tieing some things together.  That was energizing!  So energizing, in fact, that I ended up doing a mini-metcon in CrossFit Driveway: 5rds. of: 10 ring rows/25 air squats.
A drawn out workout this morning, in different venues, with the bench to thank.

No comments:

Post a Comment