1.13.2012

connections

Snow quiets my world.  In most cases, when slick roads are forecasted I keep my car keys in the basket and stay home.  Yesterday was that day.  I did some mobility and some skill work with a light barbell.  I can always benefit from overhead squat (ohs) practice. :l  I also shoveled, played with the dog and even combined the two by shoveling a backyard maze for the dog :)  We lost power yesterday too, so my world was further quieted by a loss of technology for a few hours.  It was a wonderful day.  I enjoy 'alone' time.

I couldn't do it all the time though.  When I woke up this morning, my first thought was about heading to the gym, less for the workout and more to have a few laughs with the wonderful, eclectic group of people who make up a CrossFit gym.  While I miss seeing the people I worked out with regularly at my old gym, I have met equally wonderful people at my new gym.  These people ~~a variety of gender, age, ability, occupation, backgrounds~~ combine to create a community that is supportive, non-judgemental, and just plain fun to be around.  I feel lucky every time I walk through the door.

It will be one more day before I head to the gym for today is my volunteer day.  That means another solo workout in CF Driveway, this time of power cleans and a short WOD of deadlifts/boxjumps.  

I won't be spending the entire day alone, however.  I'll head off to see my Meals on Wheels clients.  Because of the snow yesterday, they had to use their extra meal.  That also means they didn't have anyone knocking at their door to say hello.  What we do is more than just make sure our clients have food (and it's actually a fairly good balance nutritionally, which makes me happy). 
We chat, have a few laughs, and offer a little door to door community for a brief time in their day.  Not all of them are alone all the time, but most of the time.  I have the opportunity to meet some wonderful elderly people who have had interesting lives, have interesting outlooks, and, with a few to whom I have been delivering for almost two years, have some heartfelt conversations. 
I feel lucky every time I walk up to their doors.

1 comment:

  1. I did not know you did Meals On Wheels- what a fabulous thing to do.

    ReplyDelete