1.29.2012

muscle memory

The past three or four months have been very inconsistent with my training, the programming I have been following and even where I have been training.
Happily, that has all begun to settle down. 
I am finally beginning to retest my 1 rep maxes (1rm) on my lifts at CrossFit 321 and I'm  enjoying it!  Strength work is kind of my thing.  Although I'm sure some of it is just genetics, I really like to believe that some of this stems from years of carrying babies on my back, and sometimes my back and belly (both inside and in the Geri-Pac) at the same time.  Having four daughters all close in age, that was pretty common.  My muscle memory established from those years does a happy dance every time I touch a barbell!  As is known, our bodies respond well to muscle memory, hence the necessary technique/skills work in CrossFit.

This week I retested my bench press (my favorite lift) and hit a 13# pr (personal record) for a 1rm, 135#.  Then I worked on some sets of back squats and while I didn't find my 1rm for that...yet...I know it's higher than my last at 1rm 175#.  What I realized afterward is that I can STILL carry my daughters around on my back. HOW COOL IS THAT???  Shoot, I can even carry them while they are carrying a pile of books too! :)

Don't ever underestimate the power of muscle memory, no matter how you come to it.  It's pretty fantastic to know that you don't have to settle for getting weaker as you age.  In fact, you can rely on your body to help you rediscover your strength! 



No comments:

Post a Comment