1.04.2012

mentality

When I was younger I played lots of tennis.  I played the Northern Ohio Circuit, on club teams, and just for fun.  I wasn't the best, but I held my own.  Then I planned on getting more serious about it, which was when my father mentioned that that might not work. He said I didn't have the "killer instinct" on the court.  Of course, back then that remark made me mad.  Today, I comPLETEly understand!!  Sorry Dad! ;)

So much about any sport involves the mental aspect.   I spend an appropriate amount of time on my physical training for CrossFit, but I admit to lacking focus on my mental training.  When it comes to helping someone else look at a WOD (workout of the day) and plan it out, I can pull from what I have learned over time from others to form a plan with that person.  For myself, however, even if I have put some thought into how to go about the WOD, or hearing others share their 'game plan' with me, when it's "go time", I usually just plow through.  Beginning, middle, END.  Pretty basic. 
Some nuances about the mental side of CrossFit that people have shared with me lately are so interesting.  They are mostly small mental strategies that can result in huge differences in the WOD.   It's always been so inspiring hearing people share how they formulate these plans...brilliant every time by every individual. CrossFit MENSA! 

Just as with my physical training, I am willing to put more time into the mentality of CrossFit. If I can alter my WOD attack even with a couple little steps here and there, that would be a good change.  I'm ready, at long last, to take on a bit of that "killer instinct" that I have been lacking for so long.  Of course, I may still occasionally go blank when it's "go time", but I'll keep practicing. 

2 comments:

  1. Funny how Dad had that killer instinct yet still was fair to a fault. An admirable balance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he was "fair to a fault" which is why I think he actually lacked that killer instinct too. He won often, but lost many times too, because his mentality surrounding the win got all fuzzy-edged!...so overly fair sometimes! And that is what added to his charm! :)

    ReplyDelete