1.07.2012

gotta run

Run: to go quickly by moving the legs more rapidly than at a walk

Okay, I can do that.  I mean, I DO go more rapidly than a walk... :)

I haven't run in close to two months.  The cold sets in and the rower becomes the warm-up of choice, the cardio of a metcon.  I actually enjoy rowing, but that's because I've never been a runner.  Runners are always runners.  I think it's hard to become one, although I've heard rumors that it can happen.

Today was to be a running day because I realize I have to keep that part of my training in my repertoire.  The track was still covered with snow so I did sprints on my street.  I don't mind running sprints or doing any kind of workout on the street, I just always wonder what my neighbors think!  Anyway, street sprints it was.  I ended up running 16 100m sprints.  I'm not that fast, but I was consistent from 1st to 16th, which made me happy, because my legs began feeling as though they had 50# sandbags strapped to them!  Yikes!!!  Afterward, it took me a while before I could comfortably lift my knee to waist level.  Sad, I know.  My calves just felt so heavy.

Today made me realize that while there are closely interchangeable movements for every other part of CrossFit, there is no substitute for running.  You just have to run.  I say that with a heavy heart for me and all the other reluctant runners out there. :P


**Born To Run, by Christopher McDougall, is a good read that discusses the physiology of running and 'superathletes' of running from Mexico, the Tarahumara Indians. 

No comments:

Post a Comment