1.24.2012

food for two

I live with a wonderful man, Laurence.  I must think so because I have been married to him for 30 years!  Among other things, he is completely supportive of my CrossFit lifestyle.  Whether he came to this by choice or surrender, he's never let me know anything other than it's all good.  He's pretty smart! ;) 

One area he 'participates' in with me is our food choices.  Simply put, this basically means no grains and only the occasional sugary item.  After a year, he's now 100% "on board"...'course, he doesn't cook so it's my way or hunger pangs.  Again I say, he's pretty smart! ;)

Because this lifestyle was not Laurence's choice, despite how much I believe in it I didn't think it would be fair to him to force a drastic change down his throat, so to speak.  I began by eliminating all grains at dinner, then breakfast, then lunch.  I would say on a weekly basis, he eats fairly consistently at about a 75%-25% 'clean food' percentage.  I believe I am closer to 90%-10%.  The differences are in little areas.  For instance, he still enjoys a bowl of cereal now and then, which is fine with me, especially when I just don't feel like cooking him breakfast.  Or on the occasional day I don't make his lunch, he goes to a local diner and buys lunch.  It's homemade casseroles of some sort and hey, who can't appreciate that!  But the cool thing to see is that he really understands the health benefits in eating the way we do, to the point where, for example, he'll choose the casserole at the diner that has the closest ingredients list to what I would use.  One huge verification of this is that he had his blood work done recently and his ratios for his cholesterol levels came back in the AWESOME range. Laurence always had high cholesterol ratios before and was even on a statin for a little while.  Obviously pleased with this new set of numbers, his doc said to keep eating as he has been and keep exercising.  (He may not come to CrossFit classes with me, but he has greatly increased his activity level through various ways...longer evening walks with the dog, trail-maintenance work with a local group, longer bike rides in the better weather, etc.)  I wonder what his doc would have said if Laurence let him know how many eggs he eats each week? 

There are so many ways to satisfy both of us, even if it does mean I cook two different meals sometimes.  The biggest thing is that, because I don't want Laurence to feel deprived of some of his favorites, I have found a good no-grain flat bread recipe that I use to make sandwiches for him. (see recipe at end)  I also make no-grain pancakes for him a couple times a week.  He had these this morning, with some of our own high-bush blueberries frozen from last summer.   
**pancakes: 1 banana//1 Tbsp almond butter//1 egg//1/8-1/4 C almond flour or almond meal : mix all : makes three
I can't eat these as often as he does mainly because I am trying to keep the pudge off, especially for upcoming competitions.  Just because we don't eat grains or lots of sugary things doesn't mean it's all low-cal!

After I got back from my WOD at the box this morning, I made a favorite breakfast of mine, 2 eggs with sauteed tomatoes and spinach.  Very basic, but warm and deelish. 

Bottom line is that with all the recipes that can be found on the internet for no-grain meals (Paleo or Primal), it's pretty easy to make meals that satisfy the taste buds of multiple people in a house.  I rarely cook different meals, but in the end, if I feel a need to now and then for this wonderful man I live with, then it's all good.  I'm pretty smart! ;) 

no-grain flat bread:
4-5 Tbsp oil of choice (i like sesame oil)
1 tsp honey
3 eggs
1 C almond flour (or combo of a.flour and a.meal)
1/4 C arrowroot
1/2 tsp salt
herbs to taste (i use dill and parsley)
Combine all and pour onto greased cookie sheet.
Spread out...it will look very thin.
Bake @ 325 approx. 15 mins.
Cut into desired sizes and loosen from sheet.
Let cool and bag up. Store in fridge.

(*This is not mine but I can't remember where I found it.)



No comments:

Post a Comment