12.21.2011

my bag is bigger than yours

My bag is bigger than yours.  But then, my bag is not just a gym bag, it’s  a bag full of experience.
Sometimes, like today, I take note of the younger people who walk through the gym door for class with their water bottle and keys in hand. They might even be carrying a jump rope. 
When I come in, I’m carrying my experience…my desire to ‘be on the ready’… in a bag just shy of carry-on luggage size.   I didn’t learn this from the girl scouts, because I wasn’t one.  I learned it from being a mama and, well, a more experienced woman!  I have my water bottle, my keys, and my jump rope.  I also have: my NB minimalist shoes, knee socks with the toes cut off so I can slip them over my shoes should we decide to climb a rope, sport tape and duct tape in two different designs because taped hands don’t have to look boring ;) , wrist wraps that give me assistance with my OHSs,  all three of my WOD log books because I never know when I’ll want to look back at a WOD or pr or just sit and read a good book ;), my WODs book for when I want to alter a day’s workout on the spot, a stop watch, extra little *thingies* that hold my jump rope handles onto the wire, gum, ibruprofen, floss ~~ yes, floss ~~ because I get distracted if I’ve eaten some almonds and they get  stuck in my teeth, a couple of personal items, and my wallet.  Sometimes there may even  be something visiting my bag that’s not usually there. 
I actually rarely use more than a few items in my bag, but they are there, waiting to be needed. I’m prepared to be a little comfortable in an environment that rewards being uncomfortable...the CrossFit gym. 
Sometimes I think I should pare down my bag, but then I realize that if I can carry it, I can bring it! The mama in me enjoys handing out assistance from my bag. The experienced woman in me likes having the ‘idea’ of comfort at my fingertips.  My bag is bigger for reasons bigger than my needs, and I think that’s a great reason for me to keep hauling it into the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment