12.23.2011

hangover...

I haven’t had a hangover in ages. However, I remember that tenuous feeling in one’s gut that accompanies it. That’s exactly what a lack of sleep feels like for me.  Not sure it’s very fair that I have to tiptoe around myself and feel uncertainty about what to eat when I didn’t even get to wear the lampshade and dance on the table the night before!  Oh, it’ll pass by mid morning as I focus on other people, other things, but in the meantime, I’m hungry and tired.
I have a rest day from the gym today as most of my children (and their spouses and a couple extra doggies) are rolling in for the holiday and there are things yet to be done for their arrival.  I realize I probably would have had to take the day off anyway.  Sleep is a necessary component of the totality of CrossFit. Unfortunately, it’s frowned upon to nap in the down position of a push-up, so if you’re really sleep deprived, don’t force a WOD out of your body.  Sometimes I *glaze over* when my body keeps trying to get my attention. But most often, I’ll back down from an all-out day, either taking a rest day or simply by scaling a WOD.  I’d rather rest or scale than take the chance of injury. 
 I’ll spend the day resting by finishing up my projects, delivering meals to my Meals on Wheels clients, taking some brief stretching breaks, and tiptoeing around what I can eat without making me feel nauseated.  I wonder how much better I'd feel if I did it all while wearing a lampshade?!
**later today: children and dogs arrived safely...

No comments:

Post a Comment