3.28.2012

playgrounds

Just thinking about one of the reasons I love CrossFit...
Can you tell from the picture of me on my blog that I kind of like playgrounds?
Swinging, running to the slide, dangling off of any type of bar....just plain fun! 

That's what is so attractive about a CrossFit box!  Each one is a little different in their structure and equipment, so each box I've gone into is like a new playground.  Even going to my own box day to day, I feel the same way as I enter; eyes wide open scanning the box, wondering what the day's WOD will have us playing on or playing with, feeling excited and nervous, wondering who will be my 'playmates' on that day.  It's exhilarating.  I learn to "play" in structured ways, of course, but at the end of class time when I'm sweaty and exhausted I feel so free and happy, just like you always feel after playing around at a playground.

Like at a playground, all the equipment is *human driven*.  There are no machines that enable one's movement.  Even the rower only responds as effectively as the person sitting on it can perform. (Yes, there is a specific and efficient way to row.)  Plus, each piece of equipment can be used in a variety of ways so there is room for exploration individual to each person.  Nothing can ever be considered boring.  Ooooo, as I said, just exhilarating! :)

Yup, being able to feel that freedom of full out play for even an hour a day is so much fun.  It's an hour a day when every stress and responsibility outside the box is forgotten.  Hard work?  Yes.  But the 'hard' turns to the 'fun' so fast after the workout that it keeps a person coming back for more.  I love CrossFit *playgrounds*!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment