3.23.2012

a long weekend

The CrossFit Open that I've been talking about is over this week.  Week five, fifth WOD, 12.5 as it's affectionately known in *our language*.  As the Open was last year, it's been a good look into what skills are solid, what need work, and as always, what skills I only do because they are a part of CrossFit.......ie: burpees! (If you recall, those are the 'toss yourself to the ground in a prone position, forget why you did it, hurl yourself back up to your feet, then be so happy you are upright again that you jump for joy' CF skills.)  Part of CF is getting comfortable with the uncomfortable, but I also know that all the movements/skills we learn serve the purpose of helping our bodies to function at their optimal level...even that frickin' burpee! :)

I undertook 12.5 yesterday morning and did well enough to assume I won't need to redo it.   It was an ascending ladder of thrusters and regular pullups (for all age groups of men, and women under 55, they had to do chest-to-bar pullups).  The rep scheme was 3/3, 6/6,9/9, etc until 7 minutes had lapsed.  I happen to like this couplet, AND it was the same final WOD for last year's Open, so I had an idea how to attack it and felt positive going into it.

Despite my good score, I'm fully aware that most women in my age group have yet to submit scores, so I won't know where I stand at final count until Sunday night about an hour after the submissions time close.  I went through this last year, being part of the top 20 until about 45 mins. after 'closing' only to end up in 21st after all the last-minute submitted scores were validated and posted.  That's why I know to hold off on feeling certain about making the top 20 this year until Sunday night.  

In the meantime, I'll get in a run or a CF Driveway WOD Sat and Sun, go watch other competitors undertake their 7 mins of 12.5, putter around the house, take the dog for a walk, go see a friend of mine in her belly-dancing show, and maybe fill the rest of the time sitting on my computer hitting *refresh* on the CrossFit Games Leaderboard about a zillion times.  It's going to be a long weekend!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment