2.11.2012

tabataaaaa

One of my favorite CrossFit WODs is any one that includes a tabata. 
I find I can't help but smile when it comes up on the day's programming at my box.
It's also my favorite choice for a CrossFit Driveway WOD.
The intensity of the tabata is a lure, but I also like that there is a defined amount of time, that being 4 minutes.  You bust your butt for 20 seconds, then  rest 10 seconds, then bust your butt again for 20 seconds, etc, for 8 complete rounds to equal the 4 minutes.
Since you typically score yourself by the lowest number of reps in any given of the 8 work sections, you have to work really hard to maintain a number you begin with...hard to do as exhaustion sets in!

I know that I can go all out for this pre-determined time and then that's that.  Sometimes I wonder if having that end-time makes me work harder...pshhht, nah, couldn't be! ;)  All I know is that I gotta tabata!

((there is a good description at the end of this post about both the origin and the format of the tabata should you feel like a little extra reading)) 

The past couple of days I have done WODs at home, CrossFit Driveway.  Yesterday afternoon I chose a jog at the golf course with the dog and included some fairway sprints.  No big surprise, today I programmed a tabata party for myself.  I like to do multiple tabatas because, well, if one is good then multiples are better. :) 

t1: alternating sit-ups and hollow rock holds
rest 1 min.
t2: box jumps
rest 1 min.
t3: alternating jumping jacks and air squat holds

Okay, honestly, I'm not sure I held those air squats perfectly for the whole 20 sec.  That was haaarrrrd!  But I also know that overall I got a great workout today.  Thank you tabata!!  
Now I think I'll challenge myself to a couch-sit hold for a while. :-)


                                                                              WHAT IS TABATA TRAINING?
by: tabatatraining.org
“Tabata” is the name of a particular type of workout program that provides similar health benefits to that of cardio workouts, but Tabata has a bit more spice. Instead of hours upon hours or exercise, Tabata can be completed in 4 minutes. Tabata falls under the category of high intensity training or high intensity interval training. Today I write to explain to you the history of Tabata and exactly what it is.

How did Tabata come about?
Tabata was founded by a Japanese scientist named Izumi Tabata and fellow colleagues at a department of physiology in Japan. Izumi and his fellow scientists decided to conduct a study to compare moderate intensity training with high intensity training.
He conducted the tests on 2 groups of athletes; 1 of the groups used the moderate intensity interval training and the other using high intensity interval training.
In group one; the athletes were training in moderate intensity workouts (70% intensity) for five days a week for a total of six weeks with each training session lasting an hour.
Group two trained in the high intensity workouts for 4 days a week for a total of 6 weeks with each session lasting 4 minutes, at 20 seconds of intense training (170% intensity) and 10 seconds of rest.
What were the results of the tests?
Group 1 had a significant increase in the aerobic system (cardiovascular system). However, the anaerobic system (muscles) gained little or no results at all.
Group 2 showed much improvement in all their athletes. Their aerobic systems increased much more than group ones, and their anaerobic systems increased by 28%.
Conclusion?
 Not only did high intensity interval training have more of an impact on the aerobic systems; it had an impact on the anaerobic systems as well.
So what does a basic Tabata training design look like?
Any exercise can be incorporated into the Tabata training. However the basic outline of the Tabata training method are as follows:
     4 minutes long (whole Tabata Session)
     20 seconds of intense training
     10 seconds of rest
     Total of 8 sessions or rounds

No comments:

Post a Comment