2.13.2012

ah, the bucket list

Call it what you want, but I think everyone has a bucket list.  The lists are dreams of glory, unspoken desires (both savory and unsavory, I'm sure ;) ), quiet hopes, little and big goals.  They change and morph, are erased and added as life lessons alter us, are checked off the list as completed, and sit waiting for our time/choice/confidence to address them.  

I have actually written out a list before, but for me, it felt kind of stressful even though I didn't pick a number of ideas I had to choose.  I ended up just jotting down thoughts randomly all over a piece of paper...like a bunch of thought bubbles.  Freedom from order meant freedom to survey the contents of my "bucket" without any one thing demanding I attend to it first.

What I did today was pick an item from my list because an opportunity arose.  I signed up for my first 5K race.  **insert happy dance**  I don't even feel any pressure about it, which is pretty awesome.  I always wanted to try one but never felt I was 'a runner'. Then I met a woman a couple months ago at CrossFit 321 who started talking about her running goals (she actually signs up for a race every month...crazy amazing woman!) and how she was explaining that while she wasn't necessarily the fastest runner, it was a goal she liked to have for herself.  Because of her, I finally began to realize that just to enter a race and complete it would be an accomplishment for me...kind of an "uhhh, duh" thought, but you know, sometimes things just have to align at the right time. :)

The only 5K I've ever done was on my birthday last June at CrossFit Casco Bay. It was the day's WOD and while I don't think the coach programmed it for me, it was pretty fitting because, well, IT WAS A 5K!  Apparently I looked as though I needed to be carried home afterward. ;)  Geez, talk about being supportive! 

Now, I am not a fast runner for sure.  My time for that first experience with the 5K was 33 something.  For my race in a couple months, I am hoping to walk away from it with a time better than that, shooting for under 30, but mostly, the joy of completing something I've always thought of doing.  It kind of makes me want to rummage around in my bucket for other possibilities.  You too??

No comments:

Post a Comment