9.17.2012

go ahead, be sore

Newbies to CrossFit almost always get around to asking the question, "Will I always be sore?" 
I hate to break it to them, but I have to answer "yes".
(Enter, mobility and fluids!!)
What I also say, however is that we all adapt to our various levels of soreness.  As an athlete, you need to learn to read your body as to what feels sore and what is a little more nagging...perhaps a 'pain'.  Pay attention. Take an extra day off if you aren't sure.  The box will still be there, the coaches will still be there, your CF family will still be there.  Better to choose to take an extra day off than to have to take a month off. 

Speaking for myself, my levels of soreness ebb and flow depending on the week's WODs. Feeling at ease with how my body responds and knowing that what I'm feeling is *good* soreness leading to a stronger body and continued fitness takes the focus off of it.  It just is.

The first summer I was CrossFitting was also the first full summer I played golf.  Some days I didn't think I would be able to swing the club, and even when I did it wasn't always very pretty! (Okay, so it's still not always very pretty, but... :} )  I  couldn't help but focus on the soreness that summer.  Then after about three months, it just stopped being on my mind all the time.  That three month mark is kind of magical.  It's when true fitness gains are staring back at you from the mirror, whispering positive self-talk phrases to you, wrapping you with a new cloak of confidence.  It begins happening sooner, but at three months, it sticks!

So go ahead, be sore, and keep WODding.  Your life both inside and outside the box will thank you for it!


 



2 comments:

  1. I am at about 9-10 weeks into crossfitting and the changes have become very apparent in the mirror and in the way my clothes fit. Those changes and the feeling fit and energetic changes are creating something of an addiction to this exercise regimen. Pretty remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, remarkable in this age of "instant gratification" there is a growing number of humans choosing to put in the work to be healthy and realize long term goals. LOVE IT!!
    So happy you drank the coconut water M! ;)

    ReplyDelete