8.12.2012

put me in, coach!

Having 2 1/4 years of CrossFit under my belt, I've experienced a few great months of major improvement, sprinkled with a few months of stagnation.  That is bound to happen as life swirls around us and either our focus or our desire ebb and flow.  It just is.

I have been having continued joy and physical improvements/gains following some  standard programming and adding a little of my own extra work on skills and *goats* here and there.  (Remember? *Goats* are movements in CrossFit that we suck at!)  This practice even got me to a heady 2nd place finish in my age group at the Games.
So why change *what ain't broke*?  Well, I think that's the beauty of CrossFit.  I don't believe there is any ONE specific end-all way to program for optimal fitness within the CrossFit protocol, and that teaches us to keep an open mind to various ways to achieve our desired outcome as CrossFitters.  It also encourages learning and experiencing new activities on a regular basis!  And sometimes, we just need to shake ourselves up!

This has led me to the decision to work with a coach this year.  I've never had a coach and I am curious to see how far I can go as an athlete with one.  That is my motivation.  It has little to do with competitions, rather a major curiosity.  My programming will include a variety of WODs, with rep schemes and movements similar to any CrossFit program.  The difference is that the methodology my coach will be basing this all on will be tailored to my own strengths and, primarily, weaknesses.  I definitely do not shy away from my weaknesses now, but I don't think I address them head on either.

Being held accountable to a coach is something I'm both excited about and nervous about! 

I begin my program tomorrow and am looking forward to getting into it.  I will be writing my daily WODs and insights into how they went under *training* should anyone be interested in taking a peek. 

What I'm also really happy about is that my coach is accomodating my desire to continue to WOD with my fellow CF Beacon athletes a couple times each week when I am not coaching a class.  This is a piece of the whole program that I did not want taken away.  I truly love WODding with *my peeps* so I'm very happy this will remain part of my program!

ALLLL Righty then.  It begins tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment