7.30.2013

it's all Games

CrossFit Games.
The Big Show.
The Effin' HUGE Carrot at the end of another year of training.
Done.

I'm done my second year at the Games.
It was fanfrickintastic!

Last year the Masters Comp went on at the same time as the Individuals and, being my first year, I was pretty star struck by all the elite names in CrossFit walking around everywhere.
This year, 2013, the Masters Comp was before the Individual Comp started, so my focus was more on my fellow competitors. We had time to just hang out a little more, get better acquainted with old friends and meet more new ones. It was awesome. 

My age group, the Masters Women 55-59yrs were having a great time together from the start.  Lots of goofing around while waiting in the 'corral' to be led onto the field, plenty of hugs and high fives, and just a general desire for everyone to do well.  Truly wonderful.

From the qualifying Open in March to the Games in July, I trained hard and was pushed farther by my coach, John McEvoy, than I thought possible.  Yeah, I even cursed him out on more than one occasion.
"WTF, he must think I'm 30 or something.
I'm lifting too heavy.
Too much volume.
Yada yada yada."
I not so secretly loved it all.  :)
I'm 57 and he had me doing WODs with 185# deadlifts.  I mean, I LOVE that!  The confidence I gained in myself as an athlete will stick with me long beyond this year's experience.

The Games WODs were heavier and harder this year.
The excitement and positivity were awesome.
I left for CA and The Games wanting to enjoy the experience, giving all the WODs everything I had, and leave knowing I had done just that.  Mission accomplished!
A little snapshot:
The one heat I won...and of course I'll show you this one :) ... is the link below:
 push-drag-pull: heat 1
Overall, I ended up in 8th place. My goal was top 10, so I'm a happy competitor!

Not only was John with me in CA, but my daughter (and John's wife), Sara McEvoy, was also there. It was great to have them both with me.  If they were nervous for me, they hid it well, which benefited me. :)

Shout out has to go to my gym, CrossFit Beacon. Their continued support and shared joy in this adventure we all call "life" is phenomenal!

Feeling a little antsy after getting home to ME, (it was jokingly said by Chris Spealler, CrossFitter extraordinaire, "what do I do with all this fitness?") I spent almost 5 hours doing yardwork the next day. Mistake. My arms and hands were junk afterward.  Didn't do much of anything the next couple of days. Then today, a little more functional fitness: only 9 holes of golf, but I was exhausted!

 Easing back into everything, but not coming to a dead stop.

Ultimately, the Games are a great venue for the sport side of CrossFit, but even without those to shoot for, there are so many goals to work toward.  I still plan on keeping up my training blog despite having different goals for my training now. It all keeps me moving ahead!
And hell, training to be kickass at life is no small task! :)








2 comments:

  1. You are my inspiration and my hero. Way to go, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace, looking forward to catching some class WODs with you soon!

    ReplyDelete